Lost in Austen - introducing the ultimate Darcy

I raced home this evening after a soulful ballet class to watch the final episode of the 4-part ITV miniseries Lost in Austen. It's a fab modern twist on one of my all-time favourite obsessions - Pride & Prejudice.
The show is frothy, funny and quirky with a lovely affectionate nod to the novel and the BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, especially given the fact that, for me, watching P&P is part and parcel of any pyjama-wearing, duvet-on-couch comfort eating episode.

In this version, Jemima Rooper is Amanda Price who time travels back into the novel, switching places with Elizabeth and getting into all sorts of trouble trying to help the right people get together. Jemima was a breath of fresh air compared with so many supermodel-esque stick insects around these days. No annoyingly beautiful pouty Keira. No stunning skeletons like Thandie. Jemima was so likeable with her down-to-earth, sarky brilliance and unique beauty.

With Elizabeth replaced by the new character of Amanda, the pressure was on for the other main character of the novel. And this was the biggest revelation of all... Mr. Darcy has been reborn. Elliot Cowan is amazing in the role... I would even go so far as to feel - and I know this is practically blasphemy - that he is the ultimate Darcy. And that's taking the differences in script into account.
And while the picture above is as scrumptious as Gino's Death by Chocolate dessert, it's not just about how Mr. Darcy looks, it's the updated smouldering-ness of the character and the way he is more irritatingly arrogant, strong and sexy than all previous versions. 

The other characters we love so much are also brilliantly cast with Mr. Bennet played by the huggable Hugh Bonneville, Jane by the gorgeous Morven Christie, and a whole new Mrs. Bennet brought to life by Alex Kingston from ER.

So I'll be keeping an eye out for any theatre works with Jemima Rooper and Elliot Cowan. It's extremely annoying because both of them performed in the National Theatre only a couple of months ago! I wish I managed to see them - especially Henry V which got rave reviews. I'm also inspired to try some acting classes and workshops- we'll see how that one pans out.

Leaving you with another pic... I am going to be first in line to buy the DVD... pathetic I know.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I would love to see this any Idea when the dvd will come out?

mumu said...

the show is great - if you're in the UK you can stream it from here:
http://video.stv.tv/bc/catchup-LostInAustenPart1-20080903-2101/

all the episodes can be found through the link above. I think the DVD is out 29th September...